J.R. Tolkien

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R. Tolkien

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Country Cooking in Henry County

The longer I live in Kentucky the more I appreciate the countryside, which is pretty much anything that's 30-40 minute drive outside of the Louisville city limit.  Two lane winding country roads will take you away from the hustle and bustle of the city to small town USA, with charming vistas of rolling hills, forests and farm lands.  The towns are small and quaint,  here the people are friendlier and the pace slower.

Of course, one of my favorite things to do in these small towns is to check out local restaurant where I know I'll get some good home cooking, everything made fresh and from scratch.

Here are my two favorite recent discoveries from Henry County (40 miles North East of Louisville).

Our Best Restaurant is located in Smithfield, KY.  There really isn't much around here except for the restaurant.  This is the kind of atmosphere city restaurants try to capture, homey and rustic without pretension.  I had the fried chicken and liver, they pile it so big I thought I couldn't finish.  I also discovered the tastiness of pickled beets here.
Fried chicken and liver with pickled beets and greens
Inside the restaurant
Starvin' Marvin's Country Kitchen is also the only restaurant in New Castle.  The restaurant is small and but there's a large menu of breakfast items, sandwiches for lunch and home made sweets.  My friend chicken sandwich was so tender, fresh and juicy I can still taste its goodness long after I leave the restaurant.
Fried chicken sandwich and hearty vegetable soup
Front of the restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment