J.R. Tolkien

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R. Tolkien

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Soul Food Tour - Miss Ada's Kitchen and Catering

Miss Ada's Kitchen and Catering feels somewhat like a myth.  I've heard of it, seen brief mentions of it in a few food forums but I can't find much information on it. This unique downtown breakfast and lunch spot is so obscure that I can't even find a phone number online! But no worries, I got a photo tour of this one of a kind family owned and operated institution.

How to get there
The cafeteria style eatery is located inside the American Red Cross Building, at the corner of Chestnut and Jackson.  There's plenty of FREE parking on the back side of the building.

View from the side.
Once you entered the building, sign in with the security guard to your immediate right. You'll get one of these babies:


Proceed to the elevators and go to the second floor.  Walk down the hallway immediately to the left of the elevators and you'll see a small black sign perched on top. Fresh home cooking beckons within.


The Menu
Miss Ada's offers a rotating menu of southern comfort food, changing daily and monthly.  You can expect to see around 2 entrees each day with an array of side dishes.  Favorites like fried chicken, meatloaf, fried fish, smothered pork chop, chicken and dumplings, etc. are on the menu.  They can fax you the month's menu or just call before you come to see what they're offering.

January's menu
There's also a hearty and reasonably priced breakfast menu.


The kitchen takes up a majority of the tiny room, with a small counter and display case of side dishes and desserts.  You order directly with the cook and he makes it fresh right in front of you.

Kitchen and counter
Fried catfish/cod and chicken wings were on the menu the day of my visit.  Sides included mashed potatoes, green beans and cabbage.  The friendly cook asked me if I wanted fried corn bread, then to my delight, proceed to pouring the batter and made it right on the spot.


My fried catfish was large and good but not the best I've had.  It's a little softer than I would've liked and not as fresh. The green beans and cabbage, however, were some of the best I’ve had anywhere.  It was naturally sweet, tender and delicious.  Entree, two sides and a drink came out to be $9.22. Very reasonable for freshly made home cooking right in the heart of downtown.


It's strictly a take out place, so you'll have to take your to go box down the hall to the employee lounge or back to your office.


Though my entree was a bit of a dud, my delicious side dishes spoke volumes about the potential of other menu items here.  I've heard my coworkers raved about the quiche and ribs.  So, I’m reserving judgment for now and am looking forward to trying other items in the future.  If you work in downtown Louisville, I recommend stopping by for a visit.  Friendly staff, reasonably priced hot meals and the appeal of a secret lunch spot make it worth the visit.

Miss Ada's Kitchen and Catering
510 E. Chestnut Street
Louisville, KY 40202
502-561-3762
Monday - Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.
Wednesday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 2:30 a.m.
Closed Saturday and Sunday
Free parking on back.  $3 credit card minimum.
Take out only

No comments:

Post a Comment