J.R. Tolkien

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Soul Food Tour - Southern Express Soul Food

Southern Express Soul Food is a foodie’s wish answered.  This west end take out/drive thru eatery offers delicious soul food for $1, on ALL the menu items.  Now, that's my kind of place!

The restaurant is located at the corner of West Market and 23rd in a white brick building, right at the curve.  The inside is spacious, set up cafeteria style.

Outside of the building.
The menu is high above the wall on your right, the food is displayed in trays behind thick glass panels on your left.  You will have 5 types of meat to choose from, chicken (fried or baked), pork chops (fries or smothered), pepper steak, fried fish, chitterlings and gumbo. Sides include: collard green, corn, sweet potatoes, potato salad, mac n cheese, cabbage, corn bread, rice, mashed potatoes etc. I think the choices vary light each day. They had pulled pork the day I was there even though it’s not listed on the menu.
Large menu on the wall.
Entrees.
Side dishes.
I ordered a piece of fried chicken breast, one piece of baked chicken, greens and sweet potatoes.  My total came out to be a whopping $4 and I was happily stuffed. The fried chicken wasn't as crispy as I would’ve liked but still delicious, the meat was juicy and tender. The baked chicken was my favorite, full of flavors and the meat felt right off the bones. I enjoyed the greens as well but the potatoes were a little too sweet for me.


Expect quick and efficient service, but nothing warm and cuddly.  Everything is done in front of a glass panel.  The food is even deposited to you through a cubby hole. These security measures make me wonder what happened here to make them take such extreme precautions.

Overall, the food here is good, made better by the super low prices.  The quality of food however doesn’t compare to other soul food restaurants I’ve reviewed.  But considering the price, I think you’ll walk away satisfied.

If you don’t want to come down to the West End, they have another location on Oak Street.  I haven’t been there but expect to see the same menu and offerings.

*Update: A friend reported that the prices have changed.  They now offer $1, $3 and $5 options.  She said the $1 size is very small.  I contacted the people at the Southern Express and they said, "It's still the same dollar menu, it's just different meal options available".  Still worth a visit if you're in the area!

Southern Express Soul Food
2300 W. Market Street
Louisville, KY 40214
502-778-8700
Monday - Saturday: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
$1 - $5

418 W Oak St
Louisville, KY 40203
502-634-3240

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Best soul food restaurant in Dallas TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. libanees restaurant amsterdam

    ReplyDelete