J.R. Tolkien

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R. Tolkien

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Home Sweet Kentucky Home

Louisville at dusk, photo by Frank B
My mom blamed my dad for it.  I silently thanked him everyday.  I was eight years old when my dad took me on my first trip out of our small village, a week by the ocean and another in the mountains.  I still remember the wonder of seeing the ocean for the first time and feeling invincible standing in the clouds and seeing miles of green beneath.  Ever since, I have this insatiable thirst for traveling that had became an intrinsic part of who I am.

Twenty two countries and countless adventures later, I've made Kentucky home.  This is where my heart is.  It has been my home base for traveling in past years but this year I won't be able to travel internationally. So my goal this year is to be a hometown tourist and to explore and share hidden parts of Kentucky with the rest of the world.

Last year, Louisville, Kentucky was named as one of the top 10 travel destinations in the United States, http://www.lonelyplanet.com/american-samoa/travel-tips-and-articles/77583.  The booming bourbon industry, lucrative horse racing culture and the emerging foodie scene make it an attractive destination for many.  There are already a lot of amazing sites already dedicated to the mainstream tourist attractions.  So I won't focus on those.

I'm more of a backdoor traveler, more interested in discovering the off the beaten tracks destinations, cheap/good places to eat, small local venues, etc.  So if this is your style, join me on my adventure to discover my sweet Kentucky home this year!




No comments:

Post a Comment