Our group of 10 spent last weekend monkeying around in the treetops with GoApe USA, a brand new zip line and obstacle course high above Jefferson Memorial Forest. It’s intense fun for 2-3 hours that will test your fear of heights as you climb up the ladder to a tree top platform. The 39 rope crossings throughout will have you work up some sweats and teach you a lesson in balancing. In the end of every course is the sweet reward of an adrenaline rush as you zip line down to the ground from high above.
The price is a bit steep at $57/person but I think it’s definitely worth the money. Here’s what you can expect to see.
Each group of 14 people receive a thorough 45 minute training session on how to use the harnesses and the course. You’ll have time to practice on the ground. At the end the session, you’ll also get to practice again at a shorten and lowered obstacle course. You’ll have plenty of time to ask questions and to practice any part you’re uncomfortable with.
|Practicing with the harness on the ground|
You’ll go through 5 different sections, each gets progressively harder and longer. Separated by a short walk, each section consists of:
1. An ascent on a rope ladder to a platform
2. Several rope crossings, varying in difficulty, lengths and types
3) A descend via zip line.
Two of the sections has a Tarzan swing.
You can go at your own pace and completely unsupervised. After the training, the staff can be seen periodically throughout, but the entire course is your adult jungle gym playground. Go through it as quickly or as slowly as you like.
Check out this video: goo.gl/OiCvA3
You can easily get a 10% discount for students, a group of 10 or more, or use the Yelp app to check-in. Get a 20% discount when you go on the weekdays for group of 10 or more.
- Wear comfortable clothes that you won’t mind getting dirty
- Closed toe shoes only (no slip-ons)
- If you bring a camera/phone, make sure you have a way to attach it to your body
- Avoid clothing with buttons so you won’t get caught in the mesh
- Consider wearing gloves to prevent callus (but not necessary)
- Location: Jefferson Memorial Forests
11311 Mitchell Hill Road (Visitor's Center)
Fairdale, KY 40118
- Hours: 8:30 a.m (first group)., 5 p.m. (last group) Check website for time and availability
- Pricing: Age 10 - 15 $47; Age 16+: $57
- RSVP: goape.com
I would not recommend this for those with an intense fear of height. But if you have a normal reasonable fear, you’ll have fun. Your fear will be challenged, which is part of the fun. Just keep in mind that you’re always attached and secured to a rope. The only part that had me screaming was the last Tarzan swing. It’s suitable for those with a low to moderate fitness level.